What You Should Know About Your New Home’s roof in Ontario | Metal Roof OutletJanuary 21, 2015 6:05 pm
Just Bought a New Home? Here’s What You Should Check with Your Roof
If you just bought a new house, you’ve probably not thought about anything beyond the fixtures, the paint, and the carpet as you arrange your furniture and decorations. However, there are other parts of your house that you should definitely check on, like your roof.
If neglected, roofs can develop serious issues. When you ignore small problems, they can turn into disasters that cost thousands of dollars to repair. Here’s what you should check to make sure you have a well-maintained roof:
- Is the roof more than 12 years old? Older roofs need more attention than newer ones, so if the house you’ve bought is more than 12 years old, you should have it serviced by a professional. He or she will make sure the structure of the roof is intact.
- Are shingles peeling up or missing? Missing or damaged shingles lead to leaks, and leaks lead to damage elsewhere in your new home. Use binoculars to check the quality of the shingles on the outside of your roof—don’t climb up there yourself without safety equipment.
- Is there damage or corrosion around the vents, chimney, attic door, or ceiling? You may have a buildup of moisture under your roof. This can be due to leaks, but it may be due to poor ventilation as well. If your attic has poor ventilation, moisture builds up inside, which can cause mold, pooling water, and other serious issues.
- Is your attic’s insulation wet or damaged? If you go into your attic and discover that moisture has damaged the insulation, you’ll need replace the insulation and call an expert to help you determine the source of the problem. Insulation should not be wet regardless of where in your house it is.
- Has sand pooled at the base of your gutter downspouts? Older roofs sometimes start to deteriorate little by little, so rain may wash loose pieces off of them. You’ll need to replace your shingles if this is the case.
The Last Roof You Will Ever Need!Get a Quote
"The installers were great. They cleaned up and asked if there were any concerns."
"Very pleased! Installers were neat, tidy, quick and efficient. Love the new look."
"Well done! Great job! The workers left behind no mess and took very good care
NEW - Share Your Review or See How We're Doing!Customer Reviews