Tips for Metal Roof maintenance in Ontario | Metal Roof OutletJanuary 26, 2015 6:04 pm
Keeping a Strong Roof Overhead: Tips for Metal Roof Maintenance in Ontario
Reliability is a must when it comes to your roof. The look of a pristine metal roof and the security it provides justifies taking good care of it. No one wants to replace their roof because of decay and disrepair. That’s why we have a list of easy ways you can maintain your metal roof.
- Keep it free of trees. Tree branches can scratch the roof, removing paint and causing gouges.
- Prevent puddles and other build up. Allowing water or debris to accumulate on the roof can lead to corrosion. Use a brush or a leaf blower to clear debris. You should clean your roof at least once a year to keep it in good condition.
- Walk on the roof as little as possible. Metal roofs are relatively thin, so too much weight can cause dents. If you need to walk on the roof, try to walk over areas supported by joists or purlins.
- Check the seams and screws. Metal expands and contracts, depending on the weather, which can loosen screws and break seals. This can allow water to get into the roof, causing rust and corrosion. Make sure you only use new screws in a raised area on the roof to prevent puddles.
- Don’t let different metals touch each other. Some metals can cause chemical reactions, which can lead to corrosion. Sometimes seals loosen or storms can move parts of the roof, causing metals to touch. Metal combinations to watch out for are aluminum and copper or galvanized steel and copper.
- Check the seals regularly. Most seals have a lifetime of 20 years, however, it’s important to make sure they are clear of rust. Check the seals after large rain or snow storms, as they could be affected by severe weather.
You can keep your roof strong and beautiful through regular inspections and maintenance. For more information about metal roofs or maintenance tips, visit our website.
The Last Roof You Will Ever Need!Get a Quote