How to Choose the Right Roof for Your HomeOctober 28, 2015 2:15 pm
When it comes time to replace your home’s roof, you may be surprised at how many options are available. From steel roofing to asphalt shingles to tile, it can be hard to wrap your head around the choices and make a decision. It is important to find roofing that is not only within your budget, but also within your maintenance expectations and one that will boost your home’s overall energy efficiency.
What to consider when choosing your roofing material/h2>
There are several roofing materialsavailable, so to help narrow down a list of which products will work best for you, here are the key factors to look for:
- Longevity – How long will that particular roofing material last? You likely are looking for a material that you have to replace less frequently or at least one you are comfortable replacing (financially) within a set number of years.
- Durability -Consider how the roofing material will hold up against nature and the elements, such as snow, ice, heavy winds, etc.
- Framing Capabilities – Your existing framing will also determine the weight of your next roof. Some roofing materials are extremely heavy and would require reinforcing your structure before you could use them; which is an added cost. Steel roofing is one of the lightest materials, while asphalt shingles can become quite heavy.
- Energy Savings – You should also consider energy-efficiency. The right roof can lower heating bills in the winter and cooling costs in the summer. Look for features such as radiant heat resistance, high energy ratings, and so forth.
- Style – You will want a roofing material that matches your home’s architectural style. This may include looking for custom colors and styles that suit your home.
- Cost – The cost of your roof is important, but should not be the only deciding factor. Some roofing materials cost more, but they offer better energy efficiency and longer lifespans than less expensive materials. Be sure to consider cost while remembering the other benefits and longevity of the chosen roofing material.
Types of Roofing Materials
There are numerous types of
roofing materials, but some of the more common ones include:
- Asphalt Composition Shingles – Very heavy product, but lasts anywhere from 15 to 30 years.
- Steel Roofing – Extremely light roofing material that will last 30 to 50 years, but costs more than traditional asphalt shingles.
- Plastic Polymer – Can weigh as much as 300 pounds per square, but lasts 50 or more years. Costs almost double the amount of asphalt and metal roofing.
- Clay Tiles – One of the heaviest roofing materials available, but lasts 50 or more years and is also the second most expensive type.
- Concrete Tiles – very heavy, but lasts 50 or more years. Because of the affordability of concrete, these roofs cost just a little more than steel roofing.
- Wooden Shingles and Shakes – Extremely light, but not durable. Lasts 15 to 25 years and can cost the same as steel roofing (which lasts longer).
If you are ready to replace your roof, contact Metal Roof Outlet today. Request your tile, shake, shingle, slate or sheet steel roofing prices today through our online quote request. Call us at 800-366-0620 with your roofing questions.
The Last Roof You Will Ever Need!Get a Quote